Friday 17 June 2016

Strange issue after the uninstall of Hyperion EPM – Windows Registry not updated



Well, now let us dwell into the strange world of Windows Registry. Wait, what…Don’t I blog about Hyperion usually… This is way too much of an interesting issue in EPM install world, and I wanted to put it out there. So there I was installing and uninstalling my EPM (Why I did the multiple install/uninstall will be obvious in a couple of days… Do stay tuned)…Now, we usually don’t check the Windows registry after an install or uninstall and the most that you will check is “netstat –a” to see the ports that are open or the services.msc to see if Hyperion services is up and running or to restart them( If you use Unix/Linux, you will get much more interesting issues…This pertains to Windows server 2012 unfortunately…).



So there I was after EPM system uninstall and a server restart later all ready to fire up my install again, when I checked the system registry. And guess what I found… Hyperion services staring back at me on a machine which should not have it in the first place. The snapshot is present below and it is not just one or two rogue services staring back at you (Man, EPM is interesting…Now that I look back, I had a James Bond movie going on in my servers what with rogue services and things that are there where they should not be)
 
The first thing that you do when something strange happens is to check if you actually did do the uninstall or not. After all, to err is to human right. So I checked the EPM Middleware home and found it as a clean slate apart from one folder that is created by me…




Now, things get interesting…I open registry editor in Windows and navigate to the following path as shown in the below snapshot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services





And as shown in the above snapshot, you can see the Hyperion Services on a machine that should not have it in the first place… The only thing that you can do now, is to remove it manually one after the other…

Once you delete the services from the registry, if you refresh the services.msc screen the Hyperion services will now have <Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 2> in front of the Hyperion services.

A server restart to get the machine up and running


After the server is restarted and you check the services tab you will see the Hyperion services have been deleted successfully.






I actually faced this strange issue in EPM. I did an install of all components followed by an uninstall. After that I was doing minimal installs like Essbase, Planning, FDMEE and they all passed successfully. However, the issue is when you run the start.bat to start all the services. The batch ran successfully (at least that is what I think) and I get all my ports up and running like 8300 for Planning, 10030 for Essbase. I could access Planning URL, Essbase URL but I just could not access the Workspace page and I guess it is because for some reason, these dangling services were stopping the start.bat to run its course…I should have tested it by starting the services one-by-one but I missed it… 

So, if you ever come across an EPM environment that is configured successfully and yet for some reason your Workspace is not running ( you don’t get the Apache Weblogic error which points to the Weblogic not being up or some weird network issues.. i.e. http://servername:19000/ takes you to the Fusion Middleware page but http://servername:19000/workspace/index.jsp gives you an error of the type “Not found”) it would pay to see if you have some dangling service that is messing up the environment…



No comments:

Post a Comment