Thursday 23 March 2017

Reinstallation of Hyperion EPM components stuck in “Create Oracle Inventory” phase on Linux box

In this blog, I would be talking about a strange issue I encountered yesterday when I was trying to install additional components on my Linux Hyperion environment. It is actually an interesting issue since while we know the way installation usually works, we never really fully appreciate the beauty or the complexity that is hidden behind that simple jar files and UI.

So here it goes. I had installed Essbase and Planning on a Linux box. Due to some oversight on my part. I forgot to install FDMEE which I would be needing to move data around. So I brought down my environment and decided to install the FDMEE components. While the installation was successful, the installer got stuck while creating Oracle inventory as shown in the below snapshot.


Generally this takes some time and when I checked the logs at backend it looked like the process was running as well. But my hunch was that the process was stuck. So I jumped onto the Oracle site to see if anyone else has encountered similar issues since I had done reinstallation multiple times on Windows machines and it had never got stuck.

The catch is that the issue is specific only to Linux machines and is documented on Oracle site. And the fix for it is so simple that its funny. First thing I did was uninstalled the FDMEE component.

The reason why the process gets stuck is because of the unzipping of the zipped files in the common Oracle patch folder.

The below snapshot shows the <MIDDLEWARE_HOME>\oracle_common\OPatch\Patches folder.

All you need to do to get the install up and running to completion is rename the top four folders in the above patch folder. That’s it. You need to rename the patch folders with patch numbers 16964825, 17178347, 18514458 and 20326778.

The below snapshot shows the folders after they have been renamed.

I now run the install of FDMEE once again as shown in the below snapshot.
And this time the Oracle Inventory process runs to completion as shown in the below snapshot.
If you check the Patches folder, you will see that the same four patch folders have been unzipped successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment