Friday 19 August 2016

Data Management migration error in PBCS (EPMFDM-140073, EPMFDM-140048, EPMFDM-140062)



Well, this is one blog that has been in my outbox for quite some time and I wanted to get this out since it was quite interesting. Now, I am in the middle of a couple of PBCS implementations and the inevitable process of migration of PBCS from Test to Production came up. I am a big fan of LCM because it is a well- designed tool to solve the common problem of migrating applications across different environments. The application migration went across smoothly without any hitch. However, when I was trying to migrate the Data Management component (FDMEE in the on-premise parlance), I encountered a couple of errors as shown in the below snapshot: -




The error can be summarized as follows: -

  • Data Load Rule :- EPMFDM-140073: Failed to import datarule...
  • Import Format :- EPMFDM-140048: Failed to import Import Format....
  • Location:- EPMFDM-140062: Failed to import location .....


So, I tried a lot of things in varying degrees of frustration and the solution to fix it is actually quite simple.

The problem is that the Data Management piece in PBCS does not import the source system information when you migrate an application from Test to Production environment. You will need to create the source system manually. Once I created the source system manually, the import went ahead successfully as shown in the below snapshot: -  





(The above snapshot also shows the varying levels of frustration I encountered in trying to fix this issue.)

This is actually a good example of defensive programming being good but not conveying sufficient information. I can understand why I would not want to migrate source system from test to production since I can be hitting a test source system in Test environment and in production it would be different source. But in case of file source system, I would have expected the migration should go through as is since files don’t have any security information or configurations tagged to it. Also, Data Management didn’t tell that source system were not migrated.  

 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering the best data migration strategy, your company helped me in transferring the data correctly. To read more about data migration solutions, the participants can search on the official page of the company. Your company had helped me in knowing the best data migration plans in a short period.

    ReplyDelete