Sunday 9 July 2017

Essbase Report Scripts – Did my Essbase report script just mess up my downstream?

In this blog, I would be talking about good design practices which if ignored may have potential impact on downstream systems. Now, a gist of the problem. I was using Essbase report script to extract data from one of my Essbase applications in a tab delimited format. This data then goes to a downstream system which replaces the tabs with commas and then uses the new file to create a dashboard using Oracle Data Visualization Desktop.

Now, the below snapshot shows the output of my Essbase report script.

Now, when the reason I used a tab delimited file is because it was easier for me to copy paste it into a spreadsheet. Classic example of ease becoming a design choice without forethought. Now, when this file when to the downstream system, it replaced tab with comma. However, when I tried to import this file into the system, I got an error.

The reason for the error is this. The file is supposed to be a comma delimited file with 8 fields. However, my Essbase report script was adding a comma whenever the data value crossed 999. Thus, for some rows the number of columns became 9 or 10. So, the rejection from my downstream.
Now, the below snapshot show the report scripts I was using.


In order to fix the issue, I added the SUPCOMMA formatting command to the report script as shown in the below snapshot.

On running the report script, the data is now coming as expected.

The law of unintended consequences always holds. A simple design choice may very well break your entire system. For me this was ignoring the SUPCOMMA.

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking to lose weight then you have to try this totally brand new personalized keto meal plan.

    To create this keto diet, licensed nutritionists, fitness couches, and top chefs joined together to develop keto meal plans that are efficient, painless, cost-efficient, and delightful.

    Since their grand opening in early 2019, hundreds of clients have already completely transformed their figure and well-being with the benefits a professional keto meal plan can provide.

    Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-certified ones provided by the keto meal plan.

    ReplyDelete