Friday 13 January 2017

FDMEE - Logic accounts – Why you should love them

In this blog, I would be talking about logic accounts in FDMEE and why you should love them…FDMEE is designed as an ETL tool for Hyperion systems which is a known fact. However, what you should also remember is that FDMEE is a much more finance-friendly tool than we give credit to it… In a couple of blogs, I will be showing FDMEE being used to solve real world finance problems. So let us begin.

Recently, I had an Integration requirement which was as follows. When data comes in for specific accounts from the GL into the Planning application, they needed it to be loaded into two accounts, one as is and one of it as a negative offset of the same value. So suppose my source account is 1100 with a value of 100. This data from 1100 should go into an account PL1100 as is and into account PL1105 as negative offset which is -100.

Now, there are different ways to implement the same requirement within FDMEE, but I chose to implement the same using Logic accounts with simple logic. The logic that I used is as shown in the below snapshot.
Logic accounts are basically used to create accounts that are not generated by the source systems.

The logic account I have created is explained as follows. Whenever I have an account like ‘PL1510’, I should create a logic account called ‘PL1510-Offset’ and export it.

The next snapshot shows me tagging the logic account to a location.
When I now import the data, observe that a logic account for the PL1510 has come through as shown in the next snapshot.

I have not done any mappings for this member as of now.

The next snapshot shows me creating an explicit mapping for this member. Observe that the “Change Sign” is ticked for this account.
After recalculating the data, observe that the data mappings are reflected correctly as shown in the below snapshot.

If you observe the above snapshots, we did not do any fancy coding or such. It is all very basic and can be done by non-IT people with relative ease. This ease of maintenance is the power that FDMEE brings to the table. Tomorrow, if we need to add a new account or change the mapping for the existing one, it is very simple and does not take a lot of development effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment