Saturday 16 April 2016

Hyperion EPM Configuration Error: Failed to Navigate from RegistryWizardState



Well, in my previous blogs, I spoke about how my EPM prerequisite check failed because my IP address didn’t resolve to a hostname. In this blog, I am going to be talking about how the EPM Configuration utility failed when I was trying to set up my Shared Services domain.

Now, to launch the configuration utility for EPM, we navigate to the following path
<ORACLE HOME>/Epmsystem11R1/common/config/11.1.2.0

The snapshot is as shown below:-





Since it is Windows, you just double click the configtool.bat file and it will start running the GUI for the EPM Configuration Wizard.

The below snapshots are the ones you would commonly see after running the configuration wizard.







Now, Hyperion EPM requires a couple of database schemas in the backend to help it in its operations. For example, Shared Services, Planning, EAS and FDMEE usually require a database schema in the backend for its operation. You can map all of these into one schema and most of the development environments are designed that way as well. But in a live system, these schemas would be separate (It is good programming practice, not having all your eggs in one basket)

Now Oracle speak for a schema is basically a database user who has it named after himself/herself (talk about vanity) and is a group of logical structures of data. A schema is similar to the home directory of a user on the operating system.

The below steps show the way to create a schema in Oracle.


  • ·        I first created a tablespace in Oracle for the Shared services user name. This would be his playground for messing things around.
  • ·        Secondly I created a temporary table space to be used by the user for all the temporary operations on the database.
  • ·        Next step, create the user and grant his access to his own tablespace and temporary tablespace with some quota restrictions in place.
 All three steps are shown in the below snapshot.



Now, jumping back to the EPM configuration wizard. The first step that happens when you run the EPM configuration wizard is that it asks you to set up the Shared Services and Registry Database connection.

This is shown in the below snapshot.




The setup basically asks you the normal questions, like database type, server, port and Service name along with user name and password.

Now in most live systems, the database server would be hosted separately and you can get the server name either from the database administrator or if you are particularly feeling adventurous from the tnsnames.ora file if it is an Oracle database.

By default Oracle installs itself on port 1521. (Installs itself is a misnomer. Actually, Oracle listens to the port 1521 for requests…Its more like a gate, anyone wanting to talk to Oracle knocks on the gate 1521 and similarly, if Oracle needs to visit someone, it does so via gate 1521)

When I click next in the above snapshot, I get an error as shown below:-





The error says “ORA-01045: user HYP_HSS lacks CREATE SESSION privilege; logon denied”.

This is an Oracle error since when I created the user, I just gave him a tablespace. No privileges were given to the user. So I try to fix it by giving the user create session privilege as shown in the below snapshot.





Now when I try again, it goes ahead successfully, until it gives me a new error namely

“Failed to navigate from RegistryStateWizard: Error while initializing registry. See logs for more details”

The error is shown in the below snapshot.




Now, I checked a couple of blogs on this error and most of them pointed me in two direction. One, either run the registry cleanup wizard and the second was to see if the database permissions were correct. Since the error clearly states RegistryWizard, I was more inclined on running the registry cleanup for EPM, until I caught a response from one of the guys who had fixed this issue. 

They mentioned that all they did was drop the user and create him back again and it worked this time.

So, I decided to give my user “hyp_hss” greater responsibility that came with greater power. I made him a DBA for my database. This is shown in the below snapshot.
 


Once hyp_hss was the DBA, the configuration for Shared services went smoothly and I was able to go to the next screen in EPM configuration wizard as shown below.
 


A thing to remember, generally, what I did was a measure of last resort i.e. making a user as a DBA for the database. Generally, there would be a restricted set of privileges that are needed for the Shared Services user. I wanted to try this out with the “CREATE PROFILE” database command so that will be for some other day perhaps.
 

2 comments: